Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki

Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki
December 2012

Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Zealand-isms


Here's some lingo and phrases we heard frequently while we were there in case you take a trip (which you totally should).

  • no worries:  As in "no problem".  This one is used here too but it is used all the time there.
  • mate
  • A sign as you were approaching a freeway entrance: "Merge like a zip".  Great visual.  I think we should post these all over Oregon.  It cant hurt.
  • flash = great.  As in "That's really flash."
  • They take their gardening serious.  We saw a warning sign similar to what we would see here for a construction zone but this one just said "Gardening"
  • Good as.  As in "Good as gold" but they drop the gold.  
  • Gum boots = rain boots or wellies
  • dear = expensive
  • jandals = flip-flops
  • aluminum is pronounced all-u-min-ee-um
We've been back for 3 months and I am still adjusting to the real-world.  Besides the beauty everywhere and fewer people, I really enjoyed how laid back everyone was.  They didn't get uptight or flustered very easily.  That is something I've tried to better at but I don't think I have succeeded most of the time.  For now, we are working on our list of things to do on our next trip over...which I hope is not too far away.  Thanks for reading.

No comments: