Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki

Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki
December 2012

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Matt's Murmurs - Bad Man of the Year

Well, it's a new year. At New Year's, there's always a lot of reviewing to rehash all that happened in the previous calendar year. Well, my Bad Man of the Year award goes to Clay Bennett, the chairman of the ownership group of the Seattle Sonics. In 2007, he filed his intention to move the Sonics to Oklahoma City. For the past 2 years, he has pretended to try to keep the Sonics in Seattle but never really had any intention in doing so. Here's a quote from one of his ownership cronies: "We didn’t buy the team to keep it in Seattle; we hoped to come here (Oklahoma City). We started to look around, and at that time the Sonics were going through some ownership challenges in Seattle. So Clay, very artfully and skillfully, put himself in the middle of those discussions and to the great amazement and surprise to everyone in Seattle, some rednecks from Oklahoma, which we’ve been called, made off with the team." Bad Man of the Year for 2006 was Howard Schultz (owner of Starbucks) who sold the Sonics to this group, presumably knowing that Bennett wanted to take them away. It was pretty obvious.

As a Seattle native and fan for over 20 years, I hope for a last second breakthrough to keep them in Seattle. However, I'm not optimistic, so as a tribute, I painted this plate for my soon to be departed Sonics. Notice that I was sure to paint SEATTLE Sonics. Not only will the team be gone to Oklahoma but how can I even root for a team owned by these guys once they move?? Answer: I can't. I guess I will have to become a Blazer's fan.....

3 comments:

Abby said...

Well...I don't really know what you are talking about Matt but I like the plate! Question- if they do move will you have one less game to watch? That could be good for you Kristi....
And cute picture under the Cowboy flag...Scott loves it!

Ben said...

Abby, I can answer for Matt. There will never be one less game to watch...
Now Matt - going to the side of the Blazers, that's quite the step. Let me know how that works out. Well done on the plate though. Very nice! I've been throwing around the idea of becoming a Blazer fan, but haven't been able to make the leap...

Anonymous said...

I feel bad not commenting on Matt's part of this blog too...i can't enter into this Blazer conversation, but I do like the plate Matt. Your talents are varied.