Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki

Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki
December 2012

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Matt's Murmurs - the continuing misadventures of a bridge engineer

...or, at least of an engineer who sometimes works on bridges. Well, if you read my previous posting about how I was confused with a terrorist, and I know that there's probably 2 of you (Kristi and someone else), then I have another one for you. I am now working on another bridge.



This time, I was confused with someone needing serious medical attention. Apparently, 911 received 'several' calls about how there's a gentleman who is suffering a heart attack under the bridge. How do I know this, you ask?? Well, a City of Tualatin fire'lady' walked up to me in my car while I was on the phone and asked if I was o.k. She then explained how she recieved the numerous phone calls from concerned citizens. So, I recreated the situation in my mind.....I have a heartattack while driving....I pull over, put my Jeep in 4-wheel drive to get through the mud, carefully back around the shoulder barrier and position myself directly under the bridge (you know, so as not to be seen).....then, I take my magnetic flasher and place it on top of my car being certain to connect it to it's battery. I then, put my reflective vest and hard hat on in case someone wants to drop a brick on me while I'm in cardiac arrest. I must have missed this section of the Oregon Road Code for what to do while suffering a heart attack during driving.
So, now, as a Public Service Announcement for the 2 of you who will read this...people work on bridges. The fact that someone is parked on or under a bridge with a flasher on their car with traffic control equipment does not necessarily mean that a tragedy is about to take place. Please remain calm.






7 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Matt, we laughed so hard as we read this! Your job is never boring!

Nic said...

When Kristi told me about this, I was bewildered and highly entertained. I'm so glad you blogged about it so I could hear it straight from the heart attack victim's mouth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip Matt. I'll be sure and inform Andy, in case he ever swaps working in mines for working on bridges. Entertaining stuff. Glad to hear, though, that you made it okay. I enjoyed your posting thoroughly.
Happy Breadmaking.
Tennille

Andrea said...

Isn't it nice to know that there are that many concerned citizens who would actually call 911 for you?

The Biles said...

Lol...too funny!

Matt and Brianne said...

oh my, thanks for the laugh! I almost spit out my (decaf)coffee!

Ben said...

Hilarious Matt! At least we know if you ever do have a heart attack, we'll know the "obvious" signs to look for!