Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki

Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki
December 2012

Monday, April 28, 2008

What would you do??

So I made a starter for a whole wheat boule last night. I haven't made this one before but it sounded like it would be similar to a whole wheat sourdough. I came home from work tonight and quickly got it and the rest of the ingredients into the breadmaker so that it would be done before we went to sleep tonight. I was anticipating the smell of bread wafting through the house and I felt pretty good as I hit the start button on the bread machine at 6:30pm...not bad, I thought,...until I read the timer on the machine...5:05. That's five hours and five minutes PLUS some more kneading and rising and baking outside the breadmaker! What do I do? I feel like I've already invested so much time (24 hours for the starter) and the ingredients. I'm already attached to the loaf but we're talking 1:30am before I could even think about being done. Do I love it that much? I'm still deciding. I don't operate well with little sleep. Matt offered to stay up until he learned it would involve kneading and shaping and he has a long day of field work ahead of him tomorrow. What would you do if it were your bread?

Update: Abby, I did think of calling you for advice-darn! I just couldn't let it go to waste. So, I went to bed around 11 and set the alarm for midnight when the bread would be done in the breadmaker. Then I had to shape it, let it rise some more and then bake it. I was back in bed by around 1:30pm. The house smelled wonderful and the bread was yummy but I will make a note not to attempt this one on a week night again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh, tough one. First, I'd kick myself. Then I'd stay up. 'Cause I'm stubborn like that. Actually, I'd sleep on the couch with my cell phone as an alarm clock for whenever I needed to get up and take care of the darn dough, and then promptly go back to bed. What did you end up doing?? :)

Abby said...

You can put it in the fridge to stop the rising or way slow it down and start again tomorrow!

Don't waste the bread dough though!!!